Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Work Transition

Friday, which also happened to be my birthday, marked my last full-time day at Cabrini University. With the school closing at the end of this academic year, I had hoped and planned to stay until June. However, I was offered an exciting position at Delaware County Community College (DCCC) as the Vice President of Institutional Advancement and Executive Director of the Educational Foundation. I can't wait to start next Monday.

As is my tradition, I took a selfie in my office on my last day. I started this habit during my time working in a cold and damp ticket booth near the historic ships at the Philadelphia Seaport Museum, which was the most depressing job I've ever had. The idea behind the photo is to remember the lessons learned in my position. (Seaport lesson = don't work for folks who are stealing the institution's funds.) Reflecting on my time at Cabrini and the lessons learned, I feel immense gratitude for:

  • Recognizing my openness and eagerness to learn new skills, tackle ambiguous projects, step into larger leadership positions, and manage a variety of tasks to keep things interesting: from social media management to hosting large events, documenting the institution's assets and prioritizing their importance, and taking over the department/joining the President's Cabinet; and
  • My ability to stay true to myself: asking numerous questions, working independently, enjoying light-hearted banter with colleagues, dealing with my slight nervousness about public speaking through preparation, valuing colleagues as whole individuals with lives outside of work, and needing outdoor time to balance the computer work that's required.

I'm thrilled to carry these skills and self-reflections into my new role.


These past few years, while completing my doctorate and working to close the school, have underscored the incredible support and love I receive from my family. It has not been easy to go to school while working full time, lose my job and need to pivot, or be the main contact for alums, who are processing the news of their school closing. While I often brush off these challenges, Josh helps me recognize what an emotionally taxing year it has been. 

I'm blessed to have a fantastic cheering squad always backing me. They are my foundation, and I am so grateful for our time together. I look forward to continuing to prioritize my relationships with the core people in my life—my immediate family, extended family, and those who have become family over the years.



No comments: