Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Tiny Love Story

On this date 16 years ago, Joshua and I were headed to a St. Patrick's Day party at his friend's house.  Before we got out of his car to walk down the street to the party, Joshua asked me if he could introduce me as his girlfriend.  It was a sweet moment from a thoughtful guy.  When we went into the party and Joshua casually introduced me with my new title, his friends all cheered and patted him on the back.  I have such fond memories of falling in love with my husband.

To celebrate this date-aversary, here is my submission to the NYTs Tiny Love Stories, which are vignettes of love limited by 100 words:

"Near the water” was my vague response when he asked where I lived, heeding my mother’s advice not to sound homeless. In truth, I was often at the climbing gym for the free shower, not the climbing routes. He would come to find out the truth – my sailboat liveaboard lifestyle, need for adventures, independent nature – over the coming decade as we moved around the country, eventually coming to settle. We gave our son the middle name of Anchor, honoring my love of sailing, our love of climbing, and his attempt to keep us steady.



No comments: