Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Lunar Eclipse, Javelinas, and Long Titles

Before I head into my last semester of grad school, I am attempting to take a restful winter break: a week of snowshoeing, two days of home repairs, a week in Tucson visiting my best friend and a week prepping for the upcoming semester.

After our snowshoeing trip, I decided to fix one of the kitchen walls (cigarette smoke from the neighbors has been seeping into our house - yuck!) and repaint the kitchen from yellow rain slicker (a little too bright) to lunar eclipse, a pale grey/silver color. It looks neat and makes everything else in the room pop; as opposed to the rest of the house, where the walls tend to pop with color and the decorations are merely a distraction. Once the kitchen is done, I will post photos.



My week in Tucson was great. Erica and Greg were exceedingly gracious hosts and excellent tour guides. From fabulous home-cooked meals, interesting conversations, trips to museums/zoos (javelinas!), and rock climbing, it was amazing. They set up the week so selflessly to show me a good time and I really cannot thank them enough for their time and energy. I cannot wait until they visit us in Philly.
To top it off, they have the best and cutest little girl on the planet. My photos do little to capture how incredible sweet Kira is so you will have to check out Erica and Greg's website for better photos.

Lastly, Erica's older sister, Juliet, who also lives in Tucson with her husband and almost-three-year old daughter, gave birth to twin girls while I was in town. Right before I left for Philadelphia, I got to see them and hold "Baby A". So wonderful!



Now I am prepping for my last semester. Most of my semester will be spent working on my thesis and looking for full-time employment that I can begin in May when I graduate. I'm also the teaching assistant for the digital mapping course. I was the TA for this course last semester so it will be nice to be familiar with the lab assignments I have to teach. Lastly, I am taking a spatial statistics course, which is very exciting to me.

My thesis title has become something of a joke in the family: Mapping Geographically Weighted Regression: Spatial Nonstationarity in Logistic Models of Drug-Crime Recidivating Juvenile Delinquency. If you want a translation of what that means, ask me in person. It takes a few minutes to explain. I'm still not sure if Joshua has fully grasped it yet. Luckily, I am excited about the topic, so that should count for something even if everyone else thinks it's just nutty ivory-tower babble (which it isn't!).

No comments: