Monday, October 19, 2015

First Single-Handed Rig Sailing Race




On Saturday, I got to enjoy my first single-handed rig race with the Marsh Creek Sailing Club.  I've been obsessed with Lasers since my college racing days and it has been so nice to finally get on one.  Previously, I've always raced with another person on the boat with me.

With gusts up to 22 knots and a full sail, it was an exciting day!  I solidly came in last place in every race because I could barely handle the boat in so much wind.  Even with flipping the boat repeatedly (four times in one race!), I somehow avoided swimming.  That made me the true winner for the day as it was very cold (... on Sunday we had sleet).

The MC Sailing Club has been overly generous to me -- lending me a nice boat, helping me to get it set up, and encouraging me to keep coming back.  We are lucky to live so close to the lake and such a wonderful group. Also, Joshua is so great for watching the kids for the day so that I could beat myself up on the water and come home sore, bruised, exhausted and extremely happy.

1 comment:

Grericag said...

OH MY GOSH!!! You totally inspire me!! I am so stoked that you got to do your first single-handed sailing race. You are freakin' awesome. Flipped the boat 4 times and still kept going?! I love it and wish I could be there to watch you!