Saturday, October 7, 2017

Sweet Conversations

Two things that I want to remember about Alma and James at this age are their kind conversations with one another and the speed at which they acquire and utilize new vocabulary words.

For example, while James was getting dressed this morning, Alma decided to set up brunch for the two of them (Joshua is outside mowing the lawn; I'm at the computer in the living room writing a paper for school).  Upon sitting down at the kitchen table together, here's their conversation:

Alma: James, have you enjoyed the school year so far?  Do you like being in the upstairs classroom?

James: Yes.  Yes, I really do.

Alma: What have you learned?

James: Nouns.  I was excited to learn about nouns.

Alma: That's exciting, buddy.

And the conversation goes on and on about fun things that happened during the week and funny things their friends said.  It's is great that all of their friends are mutual, due to their small school.

The other example: Today while going to a women's soccer game at Immaculata University, James asked which players were more competent at playing soccer.  Competent.  I was impressed.  Then on the drive home, I heard Alma in the back seat explaining to James that Trains R Us, a dumpy little store we know, probably didn't make enough of a profit and that is why it closed.  Profit.  Every day they surprise me with a new word that I didn't think they knew.

I love and am so grateful for my smart, kind children.

No comments: