Monday, April 13, 2009

Feeling Blessed

There are a lot of expectations about 30th birthdays -- lots of pressure to do something interesting/exciting/exotic/expensive. I was feeling the pressure a few months ago and kind of bemoaning the fact that my birthday was on Easter this year. Holidays are fun, but I felt like it was stealing my thunder on turning 30. I worried that I've been lucky to spend the first 30 years of my life doing interesting and exciting things, how was I going to "overcome" Easter and top all of that other exciting stuff with one culminating event of awesomeness?

I decided to bag the whole contest and enjoy my favorite things -- camping with my husband and visiting my parents. This made for one of my most favorite birthdays ever. We went camping at French Creek State Park. Nothing too fancy, but it allow us to take a nice hike in the woods adjacent to our campsite and camp in a section set aside especially for dogs. Simon was a champ in the tent at night, keeping us warm while it rained all night long. This first camping trip with the pup proved that he will be a great backpacking dog, much to our delight.

On Saturday morning, we went to Carlisle to visit with my folks for the rest of the weekend. Of course, it was a visit full of good foods and comfortable beds. To my surprise, Kate showed up on Saturday night with her pup Rio. It was such a great surprise to see my best friend. Simon was overjoyed to have a Rio to play with all weekend.

Unfortunately, we forgot to take many photos that didn't involve the bunny ears my mother picked up for the festivities. How awesome that I have such a fun-loving family! Kate, ever the tirelessly creative one, made special shirts for the dogs. I'm so happy that she was able to join my family in celebrating Easter and my 30th.

No comments: