Friday, February 12, 2010

Warmth


This week in honor of the metric ton of snow we received in the last week, I thought that we should highlight the beautiful quilts and other amazing blankets Alma has been given by all the women who love her.
My former Seattle roommate, Krista, made this great quilt and even sewed the fabric's design on the back.  Alma has been rockin' the tummy time workouts on the quilt.
Bridgette and Brian gave us this soft-as-heck stroller blanket for Christmas.  I'm admittedly obsessed with soft material so I've already started using it when Alma and I take naps together.  It is so soothing.
My good friend Tara made this beautiful quilt which includes lots of fun fabrics.  I love the owls!  It is hanging in the nusery and it adds a lot of cheer to the space.
My best friend Erica made this fleece blanket (along with a great hooter-hider, which I use when breast feeding in public).  I was laughing with Erica that her fleece skills have improved greatly .... when we were young and silly (middle school?), Erica made me a pair of fleece pants by tracing my legs as I was laying on her mother's dining room table.  Needless to say, they didn't fit well ... but I still wore them ALL the time. 
Shawn, a fellow Temple University master's student, is in the midst of making a crazy log cabin quilt.  Since Joshua and I had originally wanted Alma's nursery to have a lady bug theme, the quilt includes little lady bugs in the middle of each block.  Shawn is a tremendously talented quilter ... she once quilted a map of a local stream!  I'll be sure to post a photo of the finished project.  (No hurry, Shawn!!)

How impressive that these women would take time out of their busy schedules to make something so personal for our babe.  Each time we received one, I have cried at the thoughtfulness of the gesture.  It is overwhelming to feel so loved. 

Plus, I love that it is a way to send some comfort and warmth across the country.  We will treasure each of these quilts and blankets for many years to come.
What a lucky gal -- so loved!

No comments: