Thursday, April 21, 2011

House Work

When I thought of how my life would be as a stay-at-home parent, I imagined quiet time with Alma in which I could craft or write long letters to friends. Ends up that those activities are a little too quiet for us and I usually opt for larger projects on the house. 

While we still make time for reading, outdoor time (we planted the garden last weekend!) and baking, I've also been making time for house projects that I find enjoyable.  Our weeks go from replacing all of the switches, outlets and cover plates in the house to ripping up all of the carpet in the master bedroom to converting an office into a walk-in closet.  The busier I am working on these projects the happier Alma seems to be playing on her own. 

It is amazing to see how much she learns watching me.  Obviously I'm not letting her rewire anything, but she gets the idea of how to use a screwdriver, hammer and sandpaper, spends a fair amount of time sorting through screws and all of the colorful wall anchors, and at times likes to sit on my lap to watch me hammer out the 18 million staples they used to keep the carpet pad in place. 

However, even with all of this housework experience, she still thinks that the little do-hickey that opens cans of paint is the same thing I use in the morning to curl my eyelashes!

No comments: