Friday, June 19, 2009

Baby Names

Joshua and I made a pack a long time ago not to share the potential names we had set aside for future children. And, while we are still doing that (for the most part), we have recently realized that some of the names we really like are fatally flawed when paired with our last name.

For example, I love the name Flynn for a boy because it is my maternal grandmother's maiden name. But paired with our last name (Chisholm, pronounced Chis-um), you get Flynchism, which sounds like a disease of flinching! I also like the names Leigh or Lynn for girls but they lead to more diseases: Leechism and Lynchism, the disease of leeches or the disorder of lynching people. No good at all. Ha ha ha.

What's funny about it is that Joshua does not hear these oddities in the names at all and thinks that I'm making it up. But when I tell friends, they immediately exclaim "oh no!" so I know I'm not too crazy.

All this being said, maybe some of these names will be used as middle names. And then, when we need to use stern voices with our children, using both their first and middle names, we will also be insulting them. Two birds. One stone.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Your baby thanks you for your forethought! It's great you're thinking carefully through your name selection.

Also, the last line made me laugh out loud. :)