Saturday, November 27, 2010

Hand-Made and Hand-Me-Down

Maybe this isn't the most polite thing to admit, but since becoming a mother, I've started lumping other mothers into sub-categories: All-Naturals, Hand-Me-Downers, and GearHeads.  Basically, All-Naturals only want organics, good-for-the-environment products for their babes; Hand-Me-Downers only want free stuff regardless of quality; and GearHeads want it all or want the best of everything.  Mothers seem to fall into some level of each of these categories, with most landing in one or more category. 

I'm a Hand-Me-Downer for sure.  Don't get me wrong, I have some GearHead in me all well (I lust after the more expensive strollers and definitely spurge on some toys) and a good bit of All-Natural (mostly organic food, wooden/cloth toys).  However, for the most part, I'm all about free or handmade stuff.  Here's Alma out for a typical walk -- handmade pumpkin hat, hand-me-down jacket (with faux fur on the hood!), covered in an awesome handmade quilt, riding in a great stroller that a friend found in the trash -- my ideal! 

However, since I attended to so many Mommy&Me yoga classes when Alma was a babe and gained most of my momma friends from those classes, I've been mostly surrounded by All-Naturals.  Well, they finally got to me ... we've switched to cloth diapers.  Now that we have a decent washing machine and a yard to hang laundry I've run out of excuses and have joined their ranks.  I thought I wouldn't like it, but I kind of love it.  Odd, I know, but there is something wonderful about putting such comfy diapers on your babe.  And look how cute they are on the clothes line! 


No comments: