Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On the Subject of Blogging

I've been thinking about this blog and how it fits into the world recently -- heck, since this blog started -- but especially more recently as every event I seem to attend includes the following interaction:

Person I barely know: So, I hate to admit it, but I've been reading your blog and its so wonderful to see pictures of Alma growing up.
Me: Great, I'm glad you enjoy it!
Person I barely know: I always feel bad reading it and feel like I should comment or maybe stop reading it.
Me: Don't feel any pressure to do any such thing.  I write it and put it out there publicly without any strings attached.  In fact, I'm kind of happy that people don't feel that they have to comment on it.  The things I post aren't very discussion-inducing.  They are just happy snippets from our lives. 
Person I barely know: Oh, well I'm happy that I'm looking at it so that you aren't doing it in vain.
Me: I mostly do it from my parents and Joshua's family to keep everyone informed since we are scattered across the country.  If anyone else wants to read it, they are welcome to do so.  Actually, just for sheer curiosity, I use a counter which lets me know that I have about 50 readers a day.  Before I locked it temporarily over the summer, it was over 150 a day.  Not that I care beyond bragging rights.  As long as the grandmothers are reading, I'm more than pleased.
Person I barely know: (surprised face at the number of readers per day)

I just want to say publicly that I'm happy you are here reading!  If you feel like commenting, feel free.  Or comment by email.  Or comment in person by admitting that you know what's going on in my life.  It isn't shameful.  Heck, in Philadelphia I went up to two complete strangers on the subway and admitted that I'd been reading their blogs for a long time and thanked them for all the insight on the city because it made our move there easier.  And I think that my Seattle soccer team was made closer by the fact that most of us had blogs and so when we would see each other, we could skip the small talk and instead get into the awesomeness of photos they posted or ideas they had.  It was great!

Or on the flip side, just keep reading quietly and try to change the subject when you know too much.  That is also perfectly okay as well.  Really!

The other part of this discussion is content.  I have very little beyond Alma, Joshua, Simon, Shanti and the occasional friends.  Sometimes I feel that this needs to change.  At times, I feel that I should be offering suggestions on baby gear, thoughts on motherhood, interesting recipes, a more honest critique on my life ... but then I remember my target audience and, honestly, how I don't really care to share my ideas on these other topics, and I go back to just posting cute pictures of Alma.  It may be a little blowing sunshine up your arse, but I like it that way.  I know I don't read the dour blogs (they have their place, but not in my world), so I don't want to put that energy out there.  I love this blog because it serves as a great journal and a record of the fun events and memories of my family. 

Lastly, I have to admit to feelings of shame for my writing style on this blog.  As Joshua will attest, I take for-EVER to write most things because I want my words to have a certain tone, vocabulary and meaning.  However this blog ends up becoming a retreat to awesome! and fun! and other mundane vocabulary with more exclamation points that I would usually be caught using.  In "admitting" this I'm revealing my soft underbelly of self consciousness that wants people to view me as clever and someone to be taken seriously.  The illusion I'm going for is most certainly popped by this blog.  Not the worst, just something to note.  I figure there are plenty of great writers out there so I don't need to fill that role.

In slightly related news, the best thing I saw today was an article that admits that they love reading Mormon Mommy Blogs!  http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/01/15/feminist_obsessed_with_mormon_blogs

"... the basic messages expressed in these blogs -- family is wonderful, life is meant to be enjoyed, celebrate the small things -- are lovely."

I know I love them!  Luckily, I'm best friends with someone who is a part of the Church of Latter Day Saints and was good friends with a bunch of LDS kids in high school.  All of these folks (or their wives) seem to blog and I couldn't be happier reading these types of blogs.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Alma is just such a beautiful baby girl with her humongous (sp?) eyes!! I love all the pictures and stories. You have such a great blog. No wonder so many people like to (secretly) read it ;) I think the "obsession" with mormon mommy blogs (expressed by the "single, career-oriented, 'feminist") is hilarious! Your blog would make an awesome mormon mommy blog, except for the occasional reference to beer, etc. Haha!! I also think the facetious "seriously so blessed" blog which makes fun of the "over the top" mormon mommy blogs is hilarious.