Sunday, April 29, 2012

4 Months

 Can I admit that writing an update for James this month is difficult?  He is such a sweet snuggly, cute little guy but he is also extremely high maintenance.  Some time in the last week we slowly moved away from the sleep training and have spent the last few nights wrestling with him again.  We seem to be always seeking a break from the constant attention he needs during the daytime to keep him from screaming.  Sure, we can keep him quiet and happy, we just never get to put him down.  We are just plain worn out.  It is frustrating to admit but this transition to two kiddos is starting to overpower us. 
 Honestly, it is even difficult to even list some of the new things that he is doing.  Feel like he is growing bigger and more interested in the world.  But the fact that he needs to constantly be attended to makes him more like another full-time chore.  After four months without let-up, it's difficult to see all the joy in that chore without a lot of effort.
Alma is still a great teacher for us in enjoying the moment.  My biggest fear is that she sees the frustration that is building within her parents and starts to replicate that as well. 

Every member of our family is key and I would do a million back bends to take care of everyone ... but at some point I feel that my back may break from this little guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura, I read this and felt compelled to comment because I have been in your position. If it is any consolation the jump from 1 to 2 was the most difficult. Being that I have 5 kids in a 2.5 year time span I feel like I know what I am talking about. I have no magic advice, but I can tell you the jump from 2 to beyond is not nearly as difficult even with a challenging baby. You seem to be accomplished at this mothering thing and I so enjoy reading your updates though I rarely comment. I know what a good man you married (and vice versa is evident) and it is nice to read about your family on-goings. Lots of good (restful and peaceful) thoughts headed your way from Central Oregon.

Eilean (McDonald) Karpstein

gochisholmsgo said...

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement, Eilean. It has been a roller coaster and each day I feel either overwhelmed or totally fine with it. It's nice to be able to vent and know that people are pulling for us.

You are such an inspiration. Thanks again!