Monday, April 23, 2012

Sleep Training

Last week we allowed James to cry until he fell asleep.  It took over an hour.  It was awful.

But since then he has only been waking twice a night (usually 2am and 5am) between the hours of 8pm when we put him to sleep and 7:30am when Alma's voice rouses him from sleep.

Even though these longer stints of sleep are great, they are also challenging because now I have to rouse myself from sleep to get to his room to nurse him.  I used to simply grab him from the bassinet that was parked next to my side of the bed and plop him in bed with me.  Surprisingly, this adjustment has been difficult and I've been feeling just as tired during the day as I did when he was waking me every hour during the night.  I know, seems like I'll complain about anything if I'm both complaining about sleeping longer!

I'm ready for James to be a little more independent during the daytime too.  He will have little cat naps in his bassinet and allows me to do baby yoga with him while Alma is napping but he spends a majority of his day in my arms.  This kid just does not like to be put down.  While this has created a perfectly shaped head (no flat spot on this child!), it has also created a worn out mama. I've heard and seen other moms who don't put their children down and thought it was the craziest thing ever.  Now I am one of those moms!  I remember feeling similarly when Alma was this age and I know that this stage will end. 

No comments: