Monday, April 30, 2012

Nearly 40 Hours After the Last Post

... and some time off from parenting and I'm back to my normal perky self.  

When I wrote the last post, I hadn't been outside of the house by myself to do something other than grocery shop in nearly two weeks.  And Joshua's work schedule hasn't been too kind to us either.  Early mornings, late nights and most of our weekends have been filled with one work obligation or another for the past two months.

Over the weekend, I got some much-needed time away from the house.  My mother and I went to see a musical at DeSales University (Anything Goes) and went out to eat dinner.  Even though it was only five hours away from the kids, it was enough.  Also getting a few hours with both my mom and dad, just shooting the breeze, is so refreshing as well.  They are the best cheerleaders and two of my closest friends.

Parenting two -- actually, parenting in general -- can be a roller coaster of emotions.  This may be due to the random sleep schedules, back and forth of one's children's emotional states and all the other things that can go wrong (or right!) in life.  I struggle with finding the balance that is needed and am grateful for the support from family and friend, both near and far, who help me to appreciate the struggle and keep me going.

Joshua is at the top of the list of supporters.  Not only is he a terrific father, he is a dedicated husband willing to take on more than he should to give me the rest that I need.  Now we just need to find ways to give him rest as well ... or ways to make him take a rest is more like it!

Today was a great day.  A normal day which consisted of reading a ton of books, taking a long walk around the neighborhood and generally enjoying my kids.  My lovely daughter who I have to wrestle to get a hug and my son who never leaves my arms.  I'm beyond blessed to get to spend my days with them.  And I'm trying to be cognizant of the time that I need to schedule away from them as well so that I can be a better parent.

In a few days, I'll do a re-write of the 4 month James update.  But now, since I have a house full of sleeping babies (and a husband in the garage working out), I'm going to bed.

No comments: