Sunday, September 27, 2015

Popeadelphia

The kids and I took a last-minute trip into Philadelphia to see the spectacle yesterday.  While we didn't see the Pope, we had a great time enjoying the empty streets, friendly people and empty restaurants.  I know the city so well -- Joshua and I shared a car for the first three years of our marriage, with him using it every day for work while I happily navigated the subway and streets to get across the city every day for graduate school -- so it was fun to see all my old favorite haunts again.

Most importantly, the kids finally got to ride the subway, a huge item on their always expanding adventure list, see the statue of William Penn on the top of City Hall and ride on the express regional rail line.  While our trip didn't transpire exactly as I planned, I'm so proud of my two go-with-the-flow adventurers.  They are great, enthusiastic, flexible traveling partners. It was a great day in the city.

1 comment:

Grericag said...

I love these recent pictures and posts!! How fun to be back in Philadelphia. I've been thinking of you this week as Pope Francis has been there. He is awesome! Did I ever tell you how I got to see Pope Benedict in Italy (in St. Peter's square, no less)? It was pretty cool :) Plus I got to see the Dalai Lama in a random little town in Tuscany. It was pretty crazy to hear Tibetan being translated into Italian - ha! Anyway, I'm especially happy to hear how much you like your new job (with a fantastic boss it sounds like). Love and miss you so much!